Who are we?
The AALL is a non-profit scientific organisation striving for excellence in the investigation of language use in legal contexts. The association consists primarily of scholars from legal linguistics and the legal domain. Our research focuses on statutory interpretation, linguistic evidence in the juridical process, speaker recognition and identification, and commentaries on legal developments.
Meet the Executive Board
Daniel Leisser – President
Daniel Leisser holds a BA in English and American studies and an MA in English language and history from the University of Vienna. He obtained his LL.M from the University of Edinburgh and specialises in data protection law, statutory interpretation, legislative drafting, and the role of linguistic indeterminacy in Austrian criminal proceedings.
Paul Schwarzenbacher – Vice-president
Paul Schwarzenbacher studied law both in Vienna and Milan and additionally spent study visits both in Georgetown and Montréal. He has gained work experience in Austria, Italy and Spain and specialized in the area of Internet technologies. His scientific interest lies in sustainability law, children’s rights and legislative drafting.
Richard Bonomo – Secretary
Richard Bonomo holds a BA in Cultural and Social Anthropology and a Law degree (Mag.iur.) from the University of Vienna. He is currently a trainee lawyer at a Viennese law firm.
Doha Nasr – Vice-secretary
Doha Nasr is currently studying law at the University of Vienna. As an intern and project consultant, she has already gained experience in renowned NGOs with a focus on fundamental and human rights. She is currently working as a legal assistant in a law firm. Her research interests include aspects of law relating to fundamental and human rights, as well as linguistic imprecision in law and its legal and socio-political impact, both in current law and from a legal historical perspective.
Luke Green – Treasurer
Luke Green is a graduate of English and German from the University of Vienna, as well as a graduate of Music from Canterbury Christ Church University. In addition to his work at the AALL, he is a language teacher and a podcaster.
Barbara Justen – Vice-treasurer
Barbara Justen is currently studying law, linguistics and translation studies at the University of Vienna. Her research interests lie in legislative drafting and language teaching.
- Mag. Martin Dunkl
- Mag. Peter Eschig, LLM LLM
- Univ.-Prof. i.R. Dr. Hannes Kniffka
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Claus Luttermann
- Prof.in Dr.in Karin Luttermann
- Mag. Dr. Benedikt Lutz
- Univ.-Prof.in Dr.in Gerlinde Mautner
- ao. Univ.-Prof. Mag. Dr. Christian Piska
- Mag.a Dr.in Maria Pober
- Download slides: “Geschlechterordnungen heute: Von Cis-, Transgender und Intergeschlecht in Sprache und Recht” (ILLWS 2019) – click here.
- Download abstract: “Geschlechterordnungen heute: Von Cis-, Transgender und Intergeschlecht in Sprache und Recht” (ILLWS 2019) – click here (German version) or here (English version).
- RA Michael Schmuck
- MinR. i.R. Dr. Alfred Stratil
- Download slides: “Implementing EU-Directives into national law: legal and linguistic challenges” (AALL conference 2019) – click here.