Who are we?
The AALL is a non-profit scientific organisation striving for excellence in the investigation of language use in legal contexts. The association consists primarily of scholars from legal linguistics and the legal domain. Our research focuses on statutory interpretation, linguistic evidence in the juridical process, speaker recognition and identification, and commentaries on legal developments.
Meet the Executive Board
Daniel Green (né Leisser) – President
Daniel Green holds a BA in English and American studies and an MA in English language and history from the University of Vienna. He obtained his LL.M from the University of Edinburgh and specialises in data protection law, statutory interpretation, legislative drafting, and the role of linguistic indeterminacy in Austrian criminal proceedings.
Paul Schwarzenbacher – Vice-president
Paul Schwarzenbacher studied law both in Vienna and Milan and additionally spent study visits both in Georgetown and Montréal. He has gained work experience in Austria, Italy and Spain and specialized in the area of Internet technologies. His scientific interest lies in sustainability law, children’s rights and legislative drafting.
Vacant – Secretary
This position will be filled soon.
Barbara Justen – Treasurer
Barbara Justen is currently studying law, linguistics and translation studies at the University of Vienna. Her research interests lie in legislative drafting and language teaching.
- Mag. Martin Dunkl
- Mag. Peter Eschig, LLM LLM
- Univ.-Prof. i.R. Dr. Hannes Kniffka
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Claus Luttermann
- Prof.in Dr.in Karin Luttermann
- Mag. Dr. Benedikt Lutz
- Univ.-Prof.in Dr.in Gerlinde Mautner
- ao. Univ.-Prof. Mag. Dr. Christian Piska
- Mag.a Dr.in Maria Pober
- Download slides: “Geschlechterordnungen heute: Von Cis-, Transgender und Intergeschlecht in Sprache und Recht” (ILLWS 2019) – click here.
- Download abstract: “Geschlechterordnungen heute: Von Cis-, Transgender und Intergeschlecht in Sprache und Recht” (ILLWS 2019) – click here (German version) or here (English version).
- RA Michael Schmuck
Research group leaders and coordinators
Laura Levstock – Emerging Linguists Coordinator
Laura Levstock is a student of Applied Linguistics at the University of Vienna, where she also works as a tutor. Her research interests include sociolinguistics and discourse studies. She is especially concerned with the (re)production of social inequality through and because of linguistic practices.